The length of the residencies can be from 2 weeks to 3 months.
Studio 88 believes in supporting artists in their continual development. There is a larger studio space that can be used with technical support, if needed. Residents will need to bring their own computer or other materials relevant for their work or they can purchase material in Chiang Mai (Studio 88 can show residents where to buy materials).
|2 weeks||3 weeks||4 weeks|
|Individual artist||800 USD||1,100 USD||1,200 USD|
|Additional cost per child over 2 years old (no more than 2 children)||400 USD||550 USD||600 USD|
There is no addition cost for children under 2 years old.
There are discounted prices for artist duos or groups (minimum of 3 people). Please contact Studio 88 for more details.
Breakfast and dinner can be provided at the residency (for an additional cost of 100 USD per week per resident), please contact us beforehand if you you would like to take up this option.
What is provided?
- Individual bungalows with equipped kitchenette and cleaning service
- Individual and/or shared studio/work space
- Electricity, water, and wifi (including air-conditioning and fans)
- Transport to and from the airport
- Administrative support on-site
- Curated studio visits
- Research assistance
- Networking opportunities for potential collaborations
- Artist profile promotion on our website and social media platforms
The residency fee includes various benefits tailored to support your artistic project. Residencies are typically brief, and we believe that early preparation is crucial to make the most of your time here and foster meaningful connections. Therefore, we prepare as much as possible beforehand by researching potential connections in the local art scene and making inquiries, so that everything is ready to start when you arrive.
Services upon request (with additional fees)
- Two meals (self-service breakfast and shared home-cooked dinner at Studio 88)
- Organised trip or tour
- Technical support e.g. wood work, metal work, etc.
- Professional translation
- Exhibition installation and dismantlement
- Project and event management
We also provide the opportunity to conduct workshops, subject to availability of space and the target audience. Additionally, we offer exhibition and project management services for an additional cost. Please let us know if you are interested in exploring these options and we can provide further details and discuss availability. Please note that galleries often plan their programme much ahead of time.
With some of our residents we have organised an exhibition after their residency stay, which has involved connecting with galleries, facilitating the agreements, installing the exhibition, and providing communication support. (For example, Ruth Cohen’s exhibition for Women’s Day.) At other times we have helped residents make regional connections (such as in Bangkok), leading to further collaborations.
What is not provided?
- Art materials or funding for art materials
- Funding for travel costs; airfares to and from Thailand and other transport costs are the responsibility of the artist
- Fees for procuring and maintaining travel visas
- Health insurance
- Entrance fee to museum/galleries/national parks, etc.
- Local travel costs (outside the transport to/from the airport)
- Allowance or stipend
- Food and beverages outside of Studio 88 and extra meals and other groceries are the responsibility of the artist
Once the residency is confirmed, we request payment of 50% of the fee as a deposit in advance. The 2nd half of the residency fee must be paid when commencing the residency. The 50% deposit is non-refundable, except in exceptional circumstances.